RAF Liberator KL 654 crew burial in Kuala Lumpur

PORT DICKSON: After 67 years, eight members of the Royal Air Force (RAF) will finally be laid to rest here.


Warrant Officer Paul Cross of the British High Commission, accompanied by members of the Malaysian armed forces, taking the remains of the crew of the B-24 Liberator aircraft that crashed in Kuala Pilah, Negri Sembilan, towards the end of World War 2. The remains will be buried at the Commonwealth War Cemetery in Cheras next Thursday.

Next Thursday, they will be buried at the Commonwealth War Cemetery in Cheras, Kuala Lumpur, having died when their B-24 Liberator aircraft crashed in Kuala Pilah towards the end of World War 2.

In a simple ceremony yesterday, fragments of their bones and several pieces of equipment were handed over by army Training, Planning and Development Headquarters director-general Brigadier-General Datuk Abu Musa A. Rahman to British Defence Adviser in Malaysia, Captain Kenneth Taylor.

Come Thursday, a ceremony with full military honours will see Flight Lieutenant John Selwyn Watts, Flying Officer Donald Edward Mason, Flying Officer William Kenneth Dovey, Flight Sergeant Jack Blakey, Flight Sergeant William Ross, Flight Sergeant Raymond Arthur Towell, Flying Officer John Trevor Bromfield and Flight Sergeant Arthur Turner buried.

Their remains were brought out, from the jungle where they crashed, in four phases beginning Dec 22, 2006, with the last being Aug 9, 2009.

Army Museum director Lieutenant-Colonel Mohd Shukri Mohd Ghazali said the aircraft was believed to have clipped a tree while on a mission on   Aug 23, 1945  to resupply Force 136, the Allied special forces group sent to help rebels in the Malayan jungle during the Japanese Occupation.

He said the aircraft, a long range bomber, then crashed into Gunung Telapak Buruk in Langkap.

Shukri said the crash site was first found in 1961 by some Orang Asli. The find was reported to the British army.
"However, no action was taken as it was mistaken as a threat or ploy (by communist insurgents at the time) to trap the British army."

Shukri said various hurdles had to be overcome before the Malaysian army team sent to retrieve the remains could complete their task.

He said among the problems faced were a lack of funding and the fact that some Orang Asli believed the team was trying to "steal some treasures from their land".


Read more: RAF crew’s final journey begins - General - New Straits Times

Views: 516

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of WW2: WW1: Battlefield Tours: Australia, Canada, NZ, UK, USA to add comments!

Join WW2: WW1: Battlefield Tours: Australia, Canada, NZ, UK, USA

© 2019   Created by Spirit of Remembrance.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service